Take precautions to avoid poison exposure
Last year, the 57 poison control centers in the United States received 2.4 million calls about poison exposures. More than 90 percent of those occurred in the home and slightly more than half were among children under the age of 6.
Many involved everyday items such as cleaning supplies, pesticides, cosmetics and personal care items; others were related to the abuse and misuse of drugs.
We’ve seen young children in our emergency department who have swallowed coins, batteries and thermometers, among other items. Household products that often appear innocuous actually contain dangerous chemicals. Children especially are attracted to tablet detergents because they resemble big pieces of candy.
Problems we see among adolescents include the inhalation of substances such paint and glue, and — as they get older — the abuse of prescription medications found in the house. This is why we always advise parents to take regular inventories of the family’s prescribed medications. Emergency departments treating a drug exposure will want to know what medications were in the home.
Largely due to prescription medication misuse and abuse, deaths from unintentional poison exposure have been rising since 1992. Eighty-seven people die every day from unintentional exposure and another 2,277 are treated in emergency departments, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
National Poison Prevention Month in March is intended to raise awareness about this often overlooked and largely preventable problem.
Recognizing symptoms helps ensure rapid treatment. Symptoms can include nausea/vomiting, severe throat pain, difficulty breathing, behavioral changes, unusual drooling, rapid heart rate, convulsions and burns around the mouth. Look for any evidence of exposure, such as spills, stains, smells and empty bottles or other containers.
If the person is unconscious, struggling to breathe, uncontrollably hyperactive or having seizures, immediately call 911.
While waiting for help to arrive, get the person some fresh air (if he or she has been exposed to carbon monoxide or other toxic fumes), remove exposed clothing, flush the eyes or skin with cool or lukewarm water, follow the instructions on the product label for accidental poisoning, and remove any toxic substance remaining in the mouth.
Do not, under any circumstance, give the individual ipecac syrup to induce vomiting.
Most exposures can be treated on site with phone guidance from experts at the Central Ohio Poison Center (1–800-222‑1222). The center will want to know the age and weight of the individual, the symptoms he or she is experiencing and any information you have about the poison. If possible, have the empty container or pill bottle in hand when you call.
Of course, the best medicine is prevention.
For medications, always follow the instructions on the label, consult your physician or pharmacist about interactions with other medications, discard after the expiration date, and never share prescription drugs.
For household and chemical products, store in a separate safe place; keep in original containers; never mix with other products; ventilate rooms where in use; direct any sprays away from face; wear protective clothing; discard outdated products; and stay away from recently sprayed areas.
Also, make sure gas appliances are vented to the outdoors, have them checked annually for carbon monoxide leaks and buy a carbon monoxide detector for home.
Dr. David Watson is medical director of the Emergency Department at OhioHealth Grady Memorial Hospital.