School board renews Craft’s contract

October 26, 2012

Senior midfielder Dylan Stone (Easton, Conn./Barlow) scored in the 38th minute to lift sixth-ranked Ohio Wesleyan over 15th-ranked Washington (Mo.) 1-0 in a second-round game of the NCAA Division III tournament on Sunday at Roy Rike Field.

Ohio Wesleyan advances to face 10th-ranked Ohio Northern in a third-round game, with the time, date, and site to be announced on Monday. The other third-round game at that site will match 18th-ranked Luther (Iowa) against Hope (Mich.). The winners of those third-round games will advance to a national quarterfinal game, also to be played on the campus of one of the participating institutions.

Despite playing into a stiff breeze, the Bishops held the edge in play during the first half, outshooting the Bears by a margin of 15-1.

The Bishops had a few good chances during the period, first when senior forward Matt Bonfini (Dublin/Coffman) received a pass in the penalty area with his back to the goal, whirled, and got off a low shot that Washington keeper Jonathan Jebson stopped.

In the 26th minute, freshman midfielder Colton Bloecher (Lewis Center/Olentangy Orange) wound up with an open shot near the top of the box, but sent the ball over the crossbar. Four minutes later, senior forward Tyler Bryant (Chillicothe/Unioto) took a through ball and made a run into the Washington end and got past a pair of Bear defenders, but his shot was blocked.

Senior forward Travis Wall (Columbus/Upper Arlington) freed Bryant on a breakaway in the 36th minute, but Jebson made the save while sliding across the goal line. The rebound bounced back to Wall, who followed the play, but his shot was cleared off the line by Bear defender Nik Patel, preserving the scoreless tie.

Two minutes later, it was Wall again, sending the ball into the box to sophomore midfielder Paolo Bucci (Dublin/Bishop Watterson), who played it across to Stone, who ripped a shot into the right side of the goal to give the Bishops the lead.

Cody Costakis put a shot on goal off a restart in the 53rd minute, and the Bears’ best chance came in the 56th minute, when Costakis sent a long ball ahead to Dylan Roman, who ran up the right side and broke in on sophomore goalkeeper Paul Hendricks (Columbus/Worthington Kilbourne), with Hendricks coming out to smother the shot and protect the lead.

Ohio Wesleyan had a chance to extend its lead in the 85th minute, when Patel was called for a foul inside the penalty area, but Jebson guessed correctly and made a diving save on Bonfini’s penalty kick.

The Bears put together a couple of chances in the final minutes, but headers by Brian Wright and Zachary Query were off the mark.

Ohio Wesleyan outshot Washington, 23-8. Hendricks finished with 3 saves in the Ohio Wesleyan goal, while Jebson had 7 saves for the Bears.