France: no signs truck attacker linked to extremist network


PARIS (AP) — France’s interior minister says investigators have no evidence so far that the truck driver who killed 84 people in Nice had links to “terrorist networks.”

Bernard Cazeneuve said Monday on RTL radio that while the Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the Bastille Day attack, the driver may have been motivated by IS messages but not necessarily coordinating with a larger network.

Cazeneuve says: “These links for now have not been established by the investigation.”

Authorities say Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a Tunisian living in Nice, had become recently and rapidly radicalized.

Cazeneuve said 59 people are still hospitalized after the attack Thursday, 29 of them in intensive care, out of 308 people injured overall. Many of the dead and injured were children watching a fireworks display with their families.

comments powered by Disqus